Friday, March 21, 2008

green life, green baby?

I think we've all encountered the 'green' fad in one way or another. As a wannabe treehuger, I often wonder if it's really a fad? I like to believe that people, at least my age, are actually becoming more environmentally conscience.

I have two books that have given me great ideas: A Slice of Organic Life and recently, Raising Baby Green. Both have proven to be exceptional books. Did you know that you can grow strawberries in a hanging basket? I can't wait to give it a show this summer-- mine were eaten by a Mr. Rabbit last year.

Now, some people, really take this organic lifestyle beyond what's normal. I like to think that my husband and I are just living a normal life. For example we take canvas bags to the grocery store, buy recycled TP, turn lights off, use fluorescent light bulbs, recycle, compost, wash clothes in cold water, have a rain barrel, grow our own veggies, joined a CSA farm share, buy local when possible, and (try) to live a simple life.

When we decided to start a family, I started thinking about baby and green. I think being responsible will automatically translate into a healthy baby. I already plan on making my own baby food, by freezing my farm share, and using cloth diapers on the newborn. Being green also includes things like knowing where your fish and beef come from, choosing organic milk, avoiding caffeine and reading labels. What's the harm!

For while now I've been subscribing to Green Bite, a green tip that can be emailed to you daily. http://www.idealbite.com/


I guess my point is that I don't think this green and/or organic lifestyle is really a fad. It might relax a little, but I really believe that consumers are becoming more conscious of their bodies. With all the freakin' diseases out there, why put pesticides in your body when you can opt to not have them? It's truly amazing what baking soda and vinegar can clean. Besides, with all the enviro friendly products, like Seventh Generation, out there, why not opt for something safer?

To wrap it up, we are definitely jumping in to the green movement and will continue to translate that to our baby someday. This place has to be around so generations and enjoy the beautiful land that God made.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...