Monday, March 24, 2014

thora's buttermilk bundt cake

I don't remember a whole lot of my Grandma Horstmeyer; she died at 88 when I was about 13. What I do remember are a handful of really good things. She was a very old, Norwegian woman when I knew her. She said Ufda a lot and always had a bundt cake for us to take home-- lemon poppyseed was always my favorite. They were sweet, coverd in glaze, lemony and always perfect. I remember she had them wrapped in cloth.



This is her recipe and I'd love to share it with you. She would love that others can make her recipe too.

Here she is with her two sons. My dad is in the buggie.
Ingredients
1C margarine (2 sticks) blended well together
2C sugar
4 eggs
3C flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 C buttermilk

Directions
Beat the sugar and margarine together well. Add the dry ingredients and alternatively add the 1C butter milk. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well.

For lemon poppyseed, I added about 2 Tbl of poppyseed, some vanilla, the juice of one lemon and the zest.

Blend and beat all very well. It turns out bet when beat well. Bake at 350 for 60 minutes. Don't peak! Let cool 10 minutes and turn out on wire rack to cool the rest of the way.

Glaze: Optional. Mix powder sugar and water to a consistency you like.

Note: I sprayed my pan with PAM and it stuck. So see, my creations don't always turn out picture perfect!! It was yummy though. Next time, I plan to butter and flour the bundt pan like the old days. I wish Grandma was here to ask what she did-- her's were perfect! PAM just doesn't work for me, ever! Even when I make square loafs I use parchment paper, but you can't in this case. Good luck.

Disaster-- but at least it was just for me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...