Wednesday, March 27, 2013

quick 'n easy peanut butter (and chocolate) cookies

Around here, we've been on a diet. No Easter candy. No (more) Girl Scout cookies. Nothing. If it's in the house, we eat it, so I don't keep it in the house. It really makes us grab a healthy snack if we need a little treat. But sometimes, and it's usually me, I get a craving and I need to fill that craving. Without running to the grocery store, I'm forced to find a treat hidden in the house. If I'm lucky I'll have a bag of chocolate chips, but if I'm really lucky, I have all the ingredients for a quick and easy cookie that even you can't mess up. (And I usually do have all these ingredients...)


Gluten-free (or not) peanut butter (and chocolate) cookies. These are the soft and yummy kind, my favorite kind. I really don't like my peanut butter cookies crisp and hard. I've added the Nutella and I would suspect you could add more of it or cocoa powder too for a more distinct chocolate flavor.

These first started out as a gluten free peanut butter cookie. I've improvised a little. Here's the original recipe:

1C peanut butter
1C sugar
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder

For these I double the recipe and modified it as follows:

1.5 C peanut butter
1/2C Nutella
2C sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1/8C flour

The double batch made just under 4 dozen cookies.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease your cookie sheets. Roll dough into 1" balls of dough and place 1" apart on cookie sheets. Flatten balls with a fork, making the standard peanut butter cross hatch pattern. Bake 10 minutes until puffed and pale golden. Cool on the cookie sheets 2 minutes -- this is how you get the soft cookie that's not over cooked. Transfer to wire racks or I use paper bags.


Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...