Saturday, March 5, 2011

finding the passion

This afternoon my mother shared a very awesome website with me, and a certain video in particular. If you've never heard of TED, you certainty need to check it out. TED is a small nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. TED believes passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and ultimately, the world. TED is building a clearinghouse that offers free knowledge and inspiration from the world's most inspired thinkers, and also a community of curious souls to engage with ideas and each other. Really, go check it out!



The video I watched was Boston Philarmonic's Benjamin Zander on music and passion. At a short 18 minutes long, it's amazing the amount of passion and life one person can instill another. I love classical music so this was right up my alley. For those of you who don't know, classical music has always been a part of the house I grew up in. I played cello for a little over ten years-- even for two years in college. It's only recently that I haven't played, although I've thought about picking it up again many times. One of these days, I'll start up again. I'm one of those people that actually listen to classical music in my car and at home, it always has a calming affect on my soul.

At the end of his talk, Zander quotes, "Who am I being, that my child's eyes are not shining?" This really made me think. Of course it's hard to be a wonderful person all the time, but am I being a good example for my daughters? Am I living my life the way I want my daughters to imitate? Am I truly leading by example? Sometimes, I'm not so sure, that maybe, I can try harder. 


This is your food for thought for the week. "Who am I being, that my child's eyes are not shining?" I want my daughters to sparkle with their personalities and live a life that other's want to imitate. To be good, kind souls, appreciative of everything they have and can give to others. It's a good thing-- making others shine...
post signature
Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...